So this post is a day late, but it's still appropriate. November 11th is Veteran's Day. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the day off as much as everybody else, but I think it's often forgotten what the holiday is for.
Veteran's Day was originally called Armistice Day until World War II ended. It was then changed to what is currently called Veteran's Day. I have people all the time thanking me for my service to the country and thanking me for what I do for the country. A man approached me at Starbucks a couple months ago when I was on my way to work so I was in uniform. He came up to me, thanked me for my service, and then went on tell me how his family had served in WWII. I had to confess to him that it's the Americans that served in WWI and WWII that are the real heroes. They served, some of them, for four straight years in either the Pacific, European, or African theaters. They are the one's that destroyed an 'empire' that was literally seeking to take over the world and create a master race. And for that, I have to say a very special thank you to all the veterans of World Wars I and II. (I mixed the two wars together a little bit, but you get the point)
For the current conflicts, it's the Soliders, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines getting shot at everyday who really deserve this attention. Everybody who deploys is missing 6-12 months with their family, wife, husband, pets, house. tv, and almost everything else they care about. But I'm only here to support the people who are taking it to the enemy on a daily basis. I make sure they have, without asking, everything they need to engage and destroy the enemies of the United States of America. But they are in danger's way almost everyday. And for that, a very special thank you to the men and women at the tip of the spear today in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I was sitting in the dining facility a couple days ago and me and two of my fellow officers were complaining about doing PowerPoints and Excel spreadsheets all day everyday. I looked at the Marines sitting across from me and made a mention to my friends about how big of dummies they must think we are for complaining about it. I intentionally said it loud enough for them to hear. They just kinda shook their heads at the comment. Come to find out, that all three are dog handlers and the only reason they're on Camp Leatherneck instead of looking for drugs and explosives is because one of them was hurt, one of their dogs was involved in an explosion and got slightly injured, and the third was their squad leader. I talked them a little longer and as we were leaving thanked them all for their service. That is what Veteran's Day is all about.
Later.
Don't sell yourself short. You deserve our thanks every bit as much
ReplyDelete