Thursday, November 4, 2010

Taking Over

So last week we official took over all the responsibilities for Army logistics in SW Afghanistan.  It's a pretty monumental task.  Luckily, we have a really good team of officers, non-commissioned officers, and Soldiers on staff.  All the senior leaders have an extraordinary amount of knowledge that I try to tap daily to make my self a better Soldier, transporter, and leader. 

My section is probably the most heavily tasked section because we are the planners of all the convoys the companies conduct.  It doesn't help that we are an exception to the rule and really have 2 or 3 higher commands as opposed to the usual one in a normal command structure.  Plus the customers and requirements are so diverse that it really keeps you on your toes and trying to plan two-four weeks out.  So far we've been doing alright, and there's been rough spots but I think that's natural.  It doesn't help that the unit you are replacing wants to leave as soon as possible, and you as the new team don't really want to be there.

Speaking of diverse customers, I've been dealing with many civilian organizations out here and many foreign militaries.  I've worked with the UK a couple times and whenever I call them, they have to repeat almost everything twice so I can make sure I'm catching everything.  The English are pretty easy, but the Scottish are a challenge.

Not a lot to do in my off time.  Usually I wake up at 0530 to do PT, get to work about 0900, and then work till 2000ish.  So by the time I get home, I'm beat and fall right asleep.  Today is probably the earliest I left since I've been here and that wasn't until 1900.  The USO made a very generous donation of about 15 computers and 6 phones that can call back to the States for free.  It's usually the place to be when you have some free time.  Otherwise, you have better brought some movies on your computer or some books cause you're going to be real bored sitting in your room during all your free time (if you get some).

Oh yeah!  Outback Steakhouse is flying out here to cook some "morale meals" all around Afghanistan.  Very much looking forward to this.  We also have the Thanksgiving meal coming up and usually the DFACs throw down quite a spread for it. 

If you got anything specific you want me to blog about, let me know.  And I'm still looking for my camera cord.  I'm working alternate ways to get some pictures on here if I didn't bring it.

That's it for now. Later.

3 comments:

  1. First, let me thank you for your service to our country. I found your blog thru Ashley and look forward to hearing more of your adventures on this tour of duty. I'd like to hear more about what the country is like and the locals if you have any interaction with them. Do they really hate the Americans? Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually a staffer that sits in an office all day. I will be spending little time off of the base; however, when I do get to go somewhere I will be sure to blog about it. Subsequently, no interactions with the locals.

    For the most part, the local Afghanis are happy we're here. We are improving their government, schools, water system, agriculture, pretty much their entire infrastructure. There do remain pockets of extremists that are anti-american. They are the ones we are here, not necessarily to kill them, but to try to convert them to our side and then they can help convert their friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to thank you again for your service to our country on this Veteran's Day

    ReplyDelete