Sunday, October 10, 2010

Just the Beginning...

So I have decided to join the 21st century and blog about my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan.  My goal is a weekly update, which is dependent on the Internet connection.  Here's hoping I can keep it entertaining for everybody...This will also be motivation for me to take pictures this time.  Last deployment my camera sat in my bag the entire time.

Quick refresher about what I'll be doing in Afghanistan over the next 12 months.  I am the transportation officer for a logistics battalion that is going the Camp Leatherneck in southern Afghanistan.  My section will be responsible for all Army transportation in our area.  This includes planning, managing, and tracking convoys.  It is pretty safe mission for my section and myself but since it is a combat zone, potentially dangerous for those that we put out on the roads.  Please keep these Soldiers in your thoughts and prayers, as they are the ones where the rubber meets the road, literally. 

Camp Leatherneck is kind of unique to Afghanistan.  It's in the middle of the desert, with no mountains to be seen for about 100 miles in every direction.  It's kind of a blessing and a curse.  First the blessing - the mountains are really difficult for military vehicles to maneuver through.  So we will have relatively open terrain to move through.  The curse - IT'S HOT!  Highs during the middle of the summer are usually 120-130 degrees.  On the bright side, there’s no snow to deal with.

So what's next for me?  I'm trying to get the house real clean because I will be renting it out once I'm gone. Shouldn't be that hard since I keep it pretty clean but once all my household goods get picked up on Tuesday, it will be easier to give it an all over cleaning.  Not a lot else on the agenda for the week.  We're supposed to go in to work out in the mornings and then be done for the day.  We'll see if that actually happens.  Mom, Dad, and Hilary are coming down to see me off.  Hopefully I will find out our fly date soon so they can make the appropriate plans.

Sorry for the long post.  I doubt they will be this long in the future.  Feel free to send the blog link to anybody you want to.  Next post will likely be from Camp Leatherneck, Afghanistan.  Mom and Dad have the mailing address if you find yourself longing to send something.

No comments:

Post a Comment